Tuesday, December 17, 2013

31 Going on 70

Wow... I am officially the worst blogger of all time.  In my defense, POTS got the best of me throughout October and November.  Perhaps this blog will be the focus of my 2014 resolution.

So today is my birthday, and I turned 31.  I became sick at the age of 29, so I feel a little like I am not sure where the past two years have gone.  A friend of mine asked me today how it feels to be 31.  I told her it feels like I am 70, which is a lot like how 30 felt.  So I guess turning 31 didn't miraculously cure me.

I tried my hand at making a batch of "healthy" cupcakes, so as not to completely break my strict dietary guidelines: Pumpkin cupcakes with Vanilla Cashew Frosting.  The cake part was pretty good.  I replaced the white sugar with honey, but I think maple syrup would have been better.  (Unfortunately I was out.)

Let me level with you about the Vanilla Cashew Frosting though.  While it came together well, it just tastes like sweet cashews to me.  I'm not sold on it.  I really like using cashews to make dairy-free "ricotta".  It also has somewhat of a nutty taste but once it is mixed in with spaghetti squash and sauce, I love it.  I should have stuck with whipped coconut cream to top them, which I made for Thanksgiving and really liked. (Of course, I haven't had real whipped cream in years, so I may not be the best judge.)

Anyway, I realize this is more about food than POTS, but it's my birthday, I can write about whatever I want. :)  I hope everyone out there is doing well and soaking up the holiday season!

I will leave you with a video of Straight No Chaser singing "Fix You".  It is not a Christmas song, but it is a song the group always performs at their holiday show in Cleveland.  My friend Amanda and I weren't able to attend the show this year, so she sent me their YouTube video the other day instead.  Then tonight, I turned on PBS in the middle of their TV special as they were performing it.  So the song is choosing me; I didn't choose the song.


No comments:

Post a Comment