1. Omron Blood Pressure Monitor: I finally broke down and bought a BP monitor this year. It has been an invaluable purchase for me. For one, when I am having a rough day, it is nice to determine if my BP is the culprit, and if I need to take action to raise it. In addition, my doctor really likes having data to refer to between appointments. The more quantitative data you can offer your healthcare providers, the better.
2. Polar Heart Rate Monitor: I have discussed my HRM before. I use it a lot to help determine how different activities affect my HR and of course to ensure I maintain healthy exertion levels during my workouts.
3. Instant Heart Rate: While I get a lot of mileage out of my Polar HRM, there are moments I need to check my heart rate on-the-go when I am not wearing my chest strap. The Instant Heart Rate app on my smartphone is great. The app is very accurate and an easy way to check my HR in a pinch.
5. BlenderBottle: Even if I did not have a chronic illness, I would love my BlenderBottle. When I say love, I really mean love. I have two different sizes of the BlenderBottle and even convinced my brother to buy one. These nifty bottles are great for mixing up powdered drinks and smoothies in an easy, spill-proof way. I have also used the smaller-sized bottle to make healthy salad dressings. Add ingredients, shake up, enjoy!
6. Freestyle Lite Blood Glucose Monitor: When I am feeling hypoglycemic or my symptoms aren't explained by my blood pressure, it is nice to be able to keep an eye on my blood sugar. The Freestyle Lite is so compact and easy-to-use. Generally, I am queasy with needles and blood, but I am able to use this monitor without an issue.
7. Herbal Biotic: I am on quite a few supplements, and I am seeing benefit from many of them, but Herbal Biotic is my favorite. My doctor first put me on it when I went in for a monthly check-up, and I had a low-grade fever and seemed to be coming down with something. She had me start taking Herbal Biotic that day. Later that night before my last dose of the day, I had that ominous achey feeling foreshadowing the next day's full-blown illness. The next morning, I felt absolutely fine; Herbal Biotic stopped it in its tracks. Last week, it worked its magic again when everyone else in the family became ill after Christmas. I take this daily for immune support.
|Photo from theloftonbroome.com|
9. Traditional Medicinals Ginger Tea: Most of us with POTS are plagued with nausea on a regular basis. This ginger tea really helps to settle my stomach, plus it is delicious.
10. iPad: Having a tablet is a great luxury for someone with an illness. You have TV shows, movies, music, books, social media and online support groups all at your finger tips. Thanks to its portability, a tablet is an easy thing to keep on hand.
Have you used any of the "tools" I mentioned above? What are some of your favorites that you couldn't do without?
Happy New Year everyone! I hope 2014 is a happy and healthy one for all of you.
*Any products and brands mentioned are based on my personal experience. I did not receive compensation from any of the companies or stakeholders of these products.