Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Giving the Natural Route a Go

I guess I took another blogging sabbatical.  As usual, it was POTS' idea, not mine.  Oh well, let's dust ourselves off and get back to it.

Integrative medicine.  Holistic medicine.  Naturopathic doctors.  I know these phrases may make some skeptical or uncomfortable, but I have to say, I am becoming a believer in these alternative options.  Of course, as with anything, there are probably some quacks out there; but let's be honest, I have felt that way about some of my Western medicine doctors as well.

I began going to an ND in May of this year.  I was originally referred to her by my PCP, who dabbles in holistic medicine.  My PCP wanted me to go for a nutrition consult, since my vitamin deficiencies were a wreck, and my symptoms were all over the map.


Since I was a new patient, I had to fill out the health history forms, mark down my symptoms, diagnoses, etc.  I walked into her office, and she hit the ground running.  This was no longer just about nutrition.  She said it seemed pretty clear that I was suffering from adrenal fatigue.  Since that first visit, we have also began treating intestinal issues (which started up about 3 years prior to POTS), yeast overgrowth, chronic sinusitis and, most recently, gall bladder issues.  So she and I have a lot of balls in the air and of a lot of rebalancing to do in my body.  For anyone considering the holistic route, here are some things you will want to consider up front:

1. Find a doctor you can trust.  This is super important.  Do your research and trust your gut.  If you during your first visit with your ND, you don't feel comfortable and trusting, then find another doctor.  In my case, I like the ND I was referred to.  She immediately started putting a treatment plan together, AND she knew what POTS was.  My ND had been an MD previously, but then went back to school to become an ND.  For some reason, this makes me more comfortable with her since she has experience on both sides of medicine.  Also, she is so accessible and responsive.  I can email or call with any question or issue and have a reply within a few hours.  It is just a much more personal experience.

2. Be ready to put in the time.  Even with natural medicine, there is not a magic bullet.  Healing takes time, so you will have to be patient.  After 3 months with my ND, am I all better?  Nope.  Is my life still really limited?  Yep.  Have I turned some corners and made slow improvements?  DEFINITELY.  A few examples, I am off my side-effect-ridden beta blocker now... for real, and my BP and HR are stable more often than not.  I can spend most days sitting on the couch instead of laying on it.  My blood doesn't pool as severely or as quickly in my feet.  I can shower more than once or twice a week.  I can prepare my own meals.  Sure, these are simple things, but they are wonderful.

Aside from giving yourself time to heal and being patient with slow progress, the process itself is very time consuming.  My diet is pretty strict, which takes time and preparation.  I can't just go grab the first salty, processed thing I see in the kitchen.  In addition, I am on a lot of supplements right now.  I take about 48 capsules a day, plus medicinal teas.  This, along with eating on schedule, quite literally takes a lot of time.  Taking this approach to healing is a big commitment.

3. It is not cheap.  Nothing about this is cheap.  Between the doctor's appointments, supplements and "health food", there are a lot of out-of-pocket costs, which are not covered by insurance at all.  This is definitely a financial strain when there is no income.  But, honestly, none of my doctors who are covered by insurance have been trying anything at all to help me, so I feel it is worth the money if I am able to heal my body in the long run.  I mean, I spent thousands at Cleveland Clinic last year and that really only got me a diagnosis.

4. Be open.  You will need to open yourself up to a different perspective and to the idea that natural products and diet can be used as medicine.  The famous quote by Hippocrates, "let food by thy medicine and medicine be thy food" is really what this is all about.  But if it isn't something you truly believe in, it will be a waste of your time.  Also, be open to learning new things about your body and how it works.  My doctor is very good at explaining the process at work in my body with charts and diagrams.  I actually really enjoy learning in such a practical way... plus I am much better at answering biology and anatomy questions on Jeopardy now.


Have you considered taking the natural route or had any successful experiences with holistic medicine?


No comments:

Post a Comment