Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Spoonful of Cacao Helps the Medicine Go Down

Diet and nutrition are the building blocks of healing.  Yes, I am taking a lot of supplements for my symptoms and issues, but creating an environment within your body that supports and encourages wellness is really important.

During my first visit with my ND, she asked, "How do you feel about smoothies?"

"I am pro-smoothie," I replied.

Enter my new daily breakfast.  There are many, good-for-you smoothie recipes out there, but my daily smoothie is a concoction of a few health products by my doctor's recommendation.  The main idea is that the smoothie is an optimal combination of protein, carbs, vitamins and minerals.  It is basically like drinking my multi-vitamin.


The best part about starting my day with a smoothie is it helps me enjoy breakfast without having to force-feed myself.  Thanks to POTS I always find it hard to eat in the morning due to nausea, but I know not eating just perpetuates the problem.  Drinking my morning meal is much easier on my stomach and digestive system.  It helps to prime the well for the rest of day.

The basis of my smoothie is a product called PaleoMeal.  It is available in various flavors and also available in a dairy-free variety.  My body hates dairy, so I use the dairy-free version.  Personally, I like the berry flavor over the vanilla flavor.  The vanilla has too much stevia in it for my taste; I am not a stevia fan.  I will admit, just mixing the powder directly into water or milk isn't all that tasty.  When I mix mine, I blend it with a banana, unsweetened almond milk and water.  One other POTSie bonus about the PaleoMeal... 400 mg of sodium!

In addition to the PaleoMeal, I mix in SpectraGreens and Natural Health Fruit Anthocyanins.  (I believe these two products are only available through licensed health professionals.)  I forget the exact ratios of how many cups of vegetables and fruits these add to my smoothie, but basically it ensures I get my daily needs in this area. That does not mean I am done eating fruits and veggies for the day.  Remember, I think of this as my multi-vitamin, not a pass to eat whatever I want for the rest of the day.

The great thing about smoothies is you can get creative with them.  I could add more fruits and green veggies, sometimes I add ground flaxseed, or I could even add some almond butter.  This morning I added raw cacao powder, and it was such a great treat!  I am not sure how I lived this long without it.

I had been reading a lot about the health benefits of raw cacao lately, so when I saw some at my local health food market I grabbed a bag of it.  This stuff really packs a lot of nutrition: magnesium, iron, potassium, antioxidants and fiber.

Obviously, if you don't have access to the products I use for my smoothies or want to take a more basic approach, that's not a problem.  You still might find that whipping up a healthy smoothie in the morning is a helpful start to your day.

If you are looking for some healthy and creative smoothie recipes, check out deliciouslyella.com!  Ella has wonderful recipes and great photos.  (You should also follow her on Instagram and Twitter.)  She is a fellow POTSie in London who has been helping her body heal through nutrition and natural means.  Ella is such an inspiration, and I hope I can find as much success as she has on my own natural journey to wellness!

No comments:

Post a Comment