Monday, September 9, 2013

I Choose To... Focus On The Positive!

Today kicks off National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week. The theme this year is "I choose to... (fill in the blank)". While no one with an invisible or chronic illness has chosen that challenge, we all still have the power to make certain choices for ourselves.  Today, I choose to focus on the positive.

If you ask anyone who has a chronic or long-term illness, it is probably very easy for them to list the ways their condition has limited them and what it has taken from them.  There are countless ways POTS has affected my life in negative ways, but it is more important and helpful for me to focus on the positive things POTS has given me.

As I was thinking through what POTS has given me, I ran across this blog post by Michael Hyatt.  The questions he suggests asking amidst adversity are great.  They are all worth ruminating on and may help you find a more positive perspective.

10 things I have gained from being sick:

1. Greater compassion: Hands down I have never felt more compassion towards others going through illness or other difficulties than I do now.  There is an empathy and solidarity formed by first-hand experience.

2. Capacity to appreciate the ordinary: The simple things, even the ordinary or perhaps mundane parts of life, have so much more meaning to me.  I never used to think much about taking a shower every day, sitting up in a chair or moving through my day without giving a second thought to what my heart was doing with each movement I made.  But now, these are things I appreciate when I am blessed with them.

3. Better understanding of anatomy, biology and how my body works: I have always been more into words, language and writing than math and science.  When you are faced with a syndrome that encompasses so many internal systems and symptoms, you have no choice but to become an expert on how it all works and fits together.  I now enjoy the new things I will learn and the connections I will make during my appointments with my ND, which are as much about treatment as they are about education.  Having a better understanding in these areas also allows me to have more intelligent, productive conversations with medical providers.

4. More time with my family: When you can't work and have to move back in with your parents at the age of 30, it can feel like your life is going backwards.  However, I have really liked being able to spend more time with my family.  It has been especially great to be closer to my baby nephew and see him on a regular basis.  There is nothing more uplifting for the spirit than an innocent, sweet baby.

5. Deeper faith: Ultimately your spiritual journey is what this life is all about. My faith in God has become much deeper and stronger since becoming ill. This is something I would never trade away.

6. Ability to connect with wonderful people around the world: There are a few things in life that I consider universal -- smiles, laughter and suffering.  There are people all around the world who are struggling with chronic illnesses just like me.  Through online support groups, blogs and social media, I have been blessed to connect with some amazing and inspiring people from all over.

7. More time to read and write: Since I am not spending all my time working and socializing, I might as well spend more time doing two things I love.

8. Greater commitment to nutrition and health: Nothing will make you care more about your health than losing it. I always considered myself fairly health conscious, but now I am discovering nutrition and health in a more holistic way. Wellness means so much more to me now, and I will fight to regain it and keep it throughout my life.

9. Relinquishing the need to control: There is no time you are less in control than when battling with your health. You don't get to choose your symptoms or good and bad days. I have always been a planner and goal-seeker.  While these are inherently good attributes, I was not always good at dealing with things I couldn't control. Being ill has demanded that I learn to let go and accept life as it comes. As a result, I have actually unlocked a greater strength than "being in control" ever afforded me.

10. Learning to trust my gut: Not only have I learned to listen to and trust my gut with regard to my health and daily needs, I have also learned to trust my gut in interpersonal situations. If I feel like there is someone I should reach out to, or something I should say to encourage, support or comfort someone, I no longer shy away from it or fear it might not be welcome. I accept that nudge as a sign that I am meant to act on my instincts.


What do you choose today?  What have you gained from struggles in your life? Please share in the comments below.




No comments:

Post a Comment