Monday, September 2, 2013

Soak It Up: The Benefits of Epsom Salt

Every day I soak my feet in Epsom salt. Epsom salt is a naturally occurring mineral compound also known as magnesium sulfate.  Right there in the name you can see that it contains two of the primary electrolytes: magnesium and sulfate. Epsom salt can be used as a soaking agent or can be ingested as a saline solution.  One note of caution, however, as I mentioned in the previous post, taking Epsom salt internally (or any source of magnesium internally) can have a laxative effect. You do not run this risk when you use it for soaking.

The most well-known benefit of Epsom salt is to ease sore, achey joints and muscles. In addition, the magnesium in the Epsom salt can alleviate muscle spasms. Basically, the Epsom salt will provide the same benefits gained from both magnesium and sulfate.  We covered magnesium in the last post, but what about sulfate?  Sulfates help form proteins in the joints and intestines and aid in detoxification.

I find soaking in Epsom salt really helpful and a low-cost therapy.  I don't suffer from muscle spasms as often, and it is a relaxing way to ease tension and aches at the end of the day. I definitely notice if I miss a day or two.

Admittedly a poor photo, but this gives an
idea of what I use to soak my feet.

How to Use Epsom Salt for Soaking

To use it for soaking in the bathtub, dissolve two cups of Epsom salt in hot water.  I know for most POTSies a hot bath is a no-go thanks to heat intolerance and vasodilation.  You can either wait for the water to cool down or just soak your feet, which is what I do.

To use it for a foot soak, I dissolve one cup of Epsom salt in hot water.  Instead of using the bathtub, I use a smaller plastic tub that is the perfect size for feet.  This way I can sit comfortably on the couch while I soak rather than teetering precariously on the edge of the bath.

Whichever way you choose, make sure to soak for at least 12 - 15 minutes. Also, if you want to get fancy or add an aromatherapeutic effect, you can put essential oils into the water. Epsom salt can be drying, so I would suggest using moisturizer afterwards.

Another option if you have a sore muscle that you want to target specifically, dissolve a cup of Epsom salt in a sink of hot water, soak a towel in the water and use the towel as a hot compress.


Have you tried using Epsom salt?  What benefits did you experience?  Let us know in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment